When trying to install the precaching tool from Joris Kalz (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joris_kalz/archive/2006/08/09/caching-tool.aspx), I got an installation error.
Well, it was due to happen as the original code is from 2006 but, fortunately, the source code is available; and thus I could update it to the new frameworks.
This updated release is .Net 4.0, x64 instead of .Net 2.0, x32 and installs fine on the latest OSes.
While I was at it, I added a bit of extra functionality in the timing and logging areas :
You can now specify a timing for the initial round trip, the original code had it fixed at 10ms which caused a bit of overload after a reboot.
You can also specify a logging level, so you can get rid of the 'roundtrip x started' event or get more details on every call like the actual processing time for the request.
Everything has been uploaded to codeplex, you can find the project page here.
The main features are :
- Cross browser compatibility
- Platform enhancements (ExecuteMultipleRequest, Metadata API Refresh,SQL Queries improvement..)
- Quite a few hotfixes (see KB article for the full list)
Here's the KB article link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795627
When trying to enable some Language Packs, we faced the following error:
Initially, I thought it was related to a rollup install as I found quite a few peoples with the same symptoms after applying a rollup and the customer did have applied a new rollup.
So, we spent a bit of time uninstalling everything back to UR6, reinstall the MUI and enable them from that state. But, no luck the problem was still present.
At that point, I had a closer look at the error message/stack and the activation fails when trying to upload the new MUI reports and specifically points to the categorycode attribute of the report category entity.
Out of the Box, the categorycode as 4 values pairs (1-Sales,2-Services,3-Marketing,4-Administrative).
I had a look in the entity fields definition and only 2 of the OOB values pair were present in the Option Set
As this attribute is editable, we just had to recreate the missing values pairs and the activation of the MUI Language Packs worked like a charm.
Ideally, those OOB values should not be removable but, until this is fixed, customers should be informed never to remove those default values as it will fails all subsequent MUI Language packs activation.